It's all about the journey

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Nature vs. Nuture

I was presented with a question about myself during my 10th year anniversary dinner with my husband Pat. We were talking about the having children and our plans for it. He had mentioned that he didn't seem as the nurturing kind and I immediately agreed with him assuming I knew what he was talking about.

Since then, I have been thinking about this comment. What does nurturing mean? What does it mean to nurture a child? I have interviewed hundreds of women who have chosen to have children but my questions where always centered around their decision to have children. I never thought to ask the question on what do they think it takes to raise a well adjusted child.

So, I asked Jeeves. He pulled up a seminar on raising children in a nurturing environment. In the brochure it describes nurturing parenting as "a philosophy that emphasizes the importance of raising children in a warm, trusting, and emphatic household. To nurture is to promote the growth and development while showing respect for yourself, others, and the environment."

Well, I can do that. I can raise a child in a warm, trusting and emphatic household. Isn't that what I do with Ivan, my dog? Well, it's a lot different, but hey, it's all I have to go by.

Weeks later, I realized that I can give a child a good life. A life where he/she will feel loved, be happy, and be the best she can be because I will do my best to encourage the child to do his/her best, I will be supportive and be there for her the best I can. Nurturing or not, that's what I have.

So, I may not be naturally nurturing, but I think I can do this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home