It's all about the journey

Monday, October 17, 2005


Special Olympics made especially for me

I just came back from a weekend of back braking 8-hour drives each way to Boise from CDA, shuttling 5 eager athletes plus the coach. I was one of the volunteers that brought 13 athletes to Boise to compete in the Special Olympics state championships. This is my 3rd year accompanying the team and each time I feel fuller than when I left Coeur d'alene. We get there on a Friday afternoon and rush to dinner and the opening ceremonies. It has been a full day for us since we left CDA at 5:45am. Very tired from the day, we still muster the energy to cheer for the Kootenai County Equestrians when our name is called out. The opening ceremonies are very much like the Olympics, where a torch is lit by an athlete and speakers present their speeches. Then the oath is taken. "Let me win, but if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt." An athlete usually leads the crowd in this oath. This oath always brings tears into my eyes because these athletes are much braver than me in so many ways. In a way, I have taken this oath into my personally life. ..."but if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt." ....I believe that people just do the best they can in life. I know that they would like to win and be the best and we know that not everyone can be the best. So, just being brave enough to try is good enough. These athletes are a daily inspiration to me. They are the braves people I know.

The team brought home tons of medals of varying colors: Gold, Silver, and bronze. I think our team, although we are the smallest team, had the most spirit. Each time one of our athletes were receiving a medal, the room will shake from the cheering of the team for one of their own, regardless of what place that athlete took. Oh but most of them know the difference...they all want Gold. But the happiness, the support and the cheers stayed at the same intensity. I sometimes remove myself from the situation and try to be an outsider looking in. I look at the faces of the athletes' parents, the coach and the other athletes and I am so glad that I am part of this event.

Let me win, but if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home